Boris Johnson asked fellow leaders whether they should take their jackets off at the G7 summit, suggesting they were ‘tougher than Putin’.
26 June 2022
Boris Johnson joked about Vladimir Putin with fellow world leaders as they met at the G7 summit in Germany.
The Prime Minister and Canadian counterpart Justin Trudeau discussed the Russian leader and his history of being photographed without a shirt.
As the sun shone at Schloss Elmau in the Bavarian Alps, where the G7 leaders were meeting, Mr Johnson questioned whether they should keep their suit jackets on.
Warming to his theme, he then added “shall we take our clothes off?”, suggesting “we all have to show that we’re tougher than Putin”.
Mr Trudeau joined in, referring to a “bare-chested horseback ride” – Mr Putin was pictured shirtless riding a horse in 2009.
Mr Johnson then said: “We’ve got to show our pecs.”
Q&A with Katie Brand
- Tropical Storm Meari hammers Japan with heavy rainfall
- What the papers say – August 13
- Farmers banned from removing river water in Fife amid dry conditions
- Climber, 82, to bag final peak in 282 Munro challenge
- Bowel cancer checks at record high ‘thanks to Dame Deborah James’
- First Cabinet minister switches sides to back Truss in race for No 10
- Drought persists in south of UK while thunderstorms hit the north