Sarah Everard’s killer failed to persuade judges to reduce his term.
29 July 2022
Wayne Couzens is still set to die in prison after he lost his bid to reduce his sentence at the Court of Appeal.
In May, senior judges heard challenges or appeals to the prison sentences of five convicted killers, including the whole-life terms of former police officer Couzens and double murderer Ian Stewart.
Emma Tustin and Thomas Hughes, who killed six-year-old Arthur Labinjo-Hughes, also had their sentences reviewed, along with triple murderer Jordan Monaghan.
On Friday, the Lord Chief Justice Lord Burnett and four other judges refused to lower Couzens’ sentence.
Last year, the former officer was handed a whole life term for the rape and murder of 33-year-old Sarah Everard, the first time the sentence had been imposed for a single murder of an adult not committed in the course of a terror attack.
Appealing against the whole-life term, Couzens’s lawyers argued he deserved “decades in jail” but said a whole-life term was excessive.
However, in a summary read out in court, Lord Burnett said that the sentencing judge was entitled to impose a whole life order due to the facts of Couzens’ case.
Q&A with Jeremy Paxman
- Royal Mail workers back strike action in row over terms and conditions
- Sewage discharge at more than 40 beaches after rainstorms
- Pikachus hit London hot spots for Europe’s first Pokemon World Championships
- Ryan Giggs breaks down in court describing night in cell as ‘worst experience’
- Double-digit inflation leaves families ‘worried sick’ over cost of living
- Priti Patel signs deal to send ‘foreign criminals’ back to Pakistan
- Cristiano Ronaldo given police caution after incident at Everton match