More than 17,000 people have arrived in the UK this year.
02 August 2022
Almost 700 migrants have crossed the Channel to the UK in a single day – a record for the year so far.
Some 696 made the journey in 14 boats on Monday, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) said.
Large groups of migrants, including young children, were seen being brought ashore in Ramsgate before leaving the Kent port on double-decker buses.
More than 17,000 people have arrived in the UK after navigating busy shipping lanes from France in small boats such as dinghies in 2022, according to Government figures.
Q&A with Katie Brand
- Tropical Storm Meari hammers Japan with heavy rainfall
- What the papers say – August 13
- Farmers banned from removing river water in Fife amid dry conditions
- Climber, 82, to bag final peak in 282 Munro challenge
- Bowel cancer checks at record high ‘thanks to Dame Deborah James’
- First Cabinet minister switches sides to back Truss in race for No 10
- Drought persists in south of UK while thunderstorms hit the north